Staff in the department
Lesley Alexander Curricular Leader
Jacqueline Magurran Auxiliary
The Aims of the Home Economics Department
Most importantly we want pupils to enjoy their time in the department during S1 &S2, and then choose to return for senior courses.
More specifically we aim:-
- To encourage a positive attitude to healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle which will in turn improve the health of the nation
- To develop skills which will enable them to look after themselves and others in the future
- To develop a knowledge of kitchen hygiene and food safety
- To instil safe working practices
- To develop an awareness of the many transferable skills acquired in Home Economics – these include creative, sensory and manipulative skills; practical, organisational and management skills; literacy and numeracy appropriate to age and stage.
- To demonstrate the many links which Home Economics has with ALL other subjects on the curriculum
- To inform pupils about possible career opportunities through the different strands of Home Economics and encourage pupils to follow their interests
- To provide a welcoming department where pupils and staff feel comfortable during lessons
- To provide courses which will meet the interests and abilities of all pupils at all stages