Staff in the department
Ryan Carter ( Curicular Leader of Home Economics & Craft, Design & Technology)
Sue Corson Auxiliary
The Aims of the Home Economics Department
Most importantly we want pupils to enjoy their time in the department during S1 &S2, and then choose to return for senior courses.
More specifically we aim:-
- To encourage a positive attitude to healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle which will in turn improve the health of the nation
- To develop skills which will enable them to look after themselves and others in the future
- To develop a knowledge of kitchen hygiene and food safety
- To instil safe working practices
- To develop an awareness of the many transferable skills acquired in Home Economics – these include creative, sensory and manipulative skills; practical, organisational and management skills; literacy and numeracy appropriate to age and stage.
- To demonstrate the many links which Home Economics has with ALL other subjects on the curriculum
- To inform pupils about possible career opportunities through the different strands of Home Economics and encourage pupils to follow their interests
- To provide a welcoming department where pupils and staff feel comfortable during lessons
- To provide courses which will meet the interests and abilities of all pupils at all stages