Who are we?
- Mark Cunningham (Curriculum Leader of Mathematics and Computing)
- Sharon Groves – Teacher of Mathematics
- Clare Watson – Teacher of Mathematics
- Catriona Walker – Teacher of Mathematics
- Craig McDonald – Teacher of Mathematics
- Robert Milton – Teacher of Mathematics
- Helen Burr – Teacher of Mathematics
It is our goal in the Mathematics Department at Forrester High School to ensure that all our young people meet the four capacities of A Curriculum for Excellence so that they are:
Learners are engaged and challenged by their mathematics courses. They are able to think creatively and independently, linking and applying their mathematics in new situations.
Learners will develop skills and techniques in order that they can confidently tackle mathematics problems and challenges.
Learners can discuss and communicate their learning in mathematics. They can work in partnerships and in teams creating, developing and solving problems.
Learners can work together, making informed choices and decisions in mathematics.
S1 pupils will be timetable for mathematics 4 x 1 hour periods per week. The course is structured as follows:
- Basic Rules
- Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
- Area and Volume
S2 pupils will be timetable for mathematics 4 x 1 hour periods per week. The course is structured as follows:
- Speed, distance and time
- Pythagoras theorem
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- The circle
- Equations 2
- Measures of average
- Angle 2
- Ratio and proportion
- Pictorial representation
In S3 pupils are set into different levels depending on the ability they have demonstrated in S1-2:
- Level 3 Mathematics
- Level 4 Mathematics
Maths is timetabled 4 x 1 hour periods per week in S3.
Senior (S4-6) Curriculum
We offer the following courses to pupils in the senior school:
- National 4 Mathematics
Entry requirements: achieving level 3 Mathematics
- National 5 Mathematics
Entry requirements: achieving level 4 Mathematics
- National 5 Applications of Mathematics
- Higher Mathematics
Entry requirements: an A/B pass at National 5 Mathematics
- Higher Application of Mathematics
- Advanced Higher Mathematics
Entry requirements: an A/B pass at Higher
Maths is timetabled 5 x 1 hour periods in S4-6.